Happy to report 2016 was a good year! Here are sixteen highlights of my year in no particular order:
1. Completing winter, spring, summer, and fall quarters with decent grades and not losing my mind - The other day, I realized I've been in school since August 2014...that is over 2 years straight of school without any breaks. WOWZA!
2. Losing my laptop (definitely a major low light) and GETTING A NEW ONE - This was a super shitty experience that I'd never wish upon anyone, but quite humbling. I realized how many awesome people I am surrounded by and am profusely grateful for them. You know who you are.
3. Changing my major to Biology - PLUS staying on track to graduate and keeping my Art History minor. Switching your major in the middle of Junior year is difficult, but 10/10 would recommend if it will make you happy.
4. Started working at indi chocolate in Pike Place Market - This is my first real job and I couldn't ask for a better experience. Working for a family business can be a lot sometimes, but it is a family. I love spending time with my coworkers and teaching customers about chocolate. There's exciting new prospects on the horizon as we move into a new place in the market.
5. I turned 21!! - Big milestone, although no one tells you how expensive it gets. Why are drinks $7 or higher?? The plights of growing up...
6. Lots and lots and lots of hiking in the beautiful PNW, Colorado, California, and Utah - I'm so luck to live in the west (west is best as they say). The nature is unparalleled and now that I'm older, I think I appreciate it more. With every free day, I take it as an opportunity to get outside into the great outdoors.
7. Concerts, art and entertainment - While 2016 was sort of a weird year overall, you can't argue that music was on point. I had the opportunity to see the 1975 (my favorite band) twice, LANY (my other favorite band) twice, Oh Wonder (for free!), Gallant, and Coldplay among others. Along with music, museums and galleries provided places to wander and think. I bounced around the Seattle Art Museums and galleries down in Pioneer Square as well as The Broad Museum in Los Angeles, Denver Art Museum in Colorado and galleries in Portland and Vancouver respectively.
9. Upgraded my blog - the aesthetics (lol you KNOW ME)
10. Moving into the cutest little house with some of my best friends
11. Starting/finishing Game of Thrones - 60 hours later and I'm still obsessed
12. Accomplishments made by friends and family - dad got a promotion, mom took a new job, I had loads of friends getting into/starting/finishing undergrad/grad/medical school. There was a slew of accomplishments and it's amazing to see the people I care about achieving their goals.
13. Traveling - I saw so much of this beautiful world. I went to Portland for the first time (and proceed to return two more times this year). The same thing happened with Vancouver, with one of them being a 5 star experience, a definite highlight. Heck, I started off the year in the Philippines, making January 1st the longest day of my life ~36 hours. I road tripped it with Gina and went to Vegas with Lauren & Cristin, my childhood best friends achieving a childhood goal. I took a bunch of ridiculous day trips and weekend trips and had some experiences of a lifetime. Obviously, I love to travel and I've got exciting adventures on the way!
14. Weekly dinners with friends - This was one of the little things that became one of the big things as the cliché goes. My friends and I would get together one night a week and each bring some sort of side or ingredient then cook together. It worked best over summer, but continued throughout the year. This allowed us to see each other when life got crazy and just have a good time.
15. Teaching a class - something I never thought of doing, nor something I'd be capable of. I learned a lot about how difficult teaching is, what it takes to be an awesome teacher (I am now very very grateful for the amazing profs I have had), and about myself. I highly recommend taking a chance and doing something like this if you're ever given the opportunity.
16. Spending time with friends and family - more frequently than past years. These are just a fraction of the people who absolutely made 2016 one of the best yet
Honestly, 2017 is shaping up to be even more awesome! Cheers to a great year for everyone!!
P. S. I wear more clothes than the picture indicate...I have more than 5 shirts and a black button up skirt.
P. P. S. This ended up turning into favorite photos of people.